Illegal immigrant murderer goes free

Ohio Prosecutor Drops Murder Case Against Illegal Immigrant

Published June 08, 2011

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/08/ohio-prosecutor-drops-murder-case-against-illegal-immigrant/#ixzz1OjxAPw9O

An aggravated murder case against an illegal immigrant in Ohio has been dropped because a judge ruled that a Spanish interpreter botched reading the man his rights during a police interview.

Assistant prosecutor Mark Wodarcyk said there wasn’t sufficient evidence to go to trial after Franklin County Common Pleas Judge John Bessey ruled last month to suppress the statements that Antonio M. Martinez-Nunez made during phone interviews with Reynoldsburg police, The Columbus Dispatch reports.

“His statements were the cornerstone of our case,” Wodarcyk told the newspaper. “We were left with insufficient evidence to go forward and have any reasonable chance of succeeding at trial.”

Martinez-Nunez, 31, had been charged with nine counts, including aggravated murder and abuse of a corpse in the death of Armondo Casillas Castanedo, whose body was found in a parked car in the Columbus suburb of Reynoldsburg in August 2009. Police think Castanedo, a 36-year-old illegal immigrant, was killed a few days earlier in a feud over drug territory. An autopsy determined that he was asphyxiated.

Martinez-Nunez was a suspect when he was arrested by the border patrol as he tried to re-enter the country illegally in Texas in February 2010, the newspaper reported. Reynoldsburg police conducted a phone interview with Martinez-Nunez from Texas with the help of a Spanish interpreter in Reynoldsburg, but a defense interpreter found that the first interpreter gave Martinez-Nunez incomplete Miranda warnings of his rights.

During a brief phone interview on Wednesday, defense attorney Brian Rigg said he felt relieved for Martinez-Nunez, who now faces deportation.

“This doesn’t happen too often,” Rigg told FoxNews.com. “It’s a success story. The judge and the prosecutors did the right thing.”

The police interpreter failed to tell Martinez-Nunez that he could end the interview at any time, and Martinez-Nunez also made several requests to talk with his consulate that were not acknowledged, Rigg told The Associated Press Tuesday. Rigg also said that police and prosecutors were not aware of the translation problems until the second interpreter pointed them out.

Judge John Bessey, who ruled to suppress the statements, said Monday that Martinez-Nunez also didn’t receive or sign a written waiver of his rights during the phone interview with police, and did not orally waive his rights before making statements that showed “he had knowledge of the killing.”

Martinez-Nunez did sign a waiver of his rights after he was returned to Ohio and gave police another interview.

“My concern was, when he got to Ohio, police were building on information that was illegally obtained during the phone interview,” Bessey said.

Lis Wiehl, a former federal prosecutor and a Fox News legal analyst, said she agreed with the judge’s ruling in the case, but cited the “collateral damage” to relatives of Castanedo.

“The problem is that the victims’ relatives in this case are the collateral damage, if you will,” Wiehl said Wednesday. “But I don’t disagree with the judge’s ruling in that there’s a reason when we have the Miranda warning procedures in place. If you flubbed it that bad, then it’s ineffective Mirandization and the victim’s family is the collateral damage of that sloppy work.”

FoxNews.com’s Joshua Rhett Miller and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Click here to read more on this report from The Columbus Dispatch.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/08/ohio-prosecutor-drops-murder-case-against-illegal-immigrant/#ixzz1Ojwun8Y4

Punny Airline Ad Offers “Fares Too Hard To Resist”

June 7, 2011 5:16 PM
Share this article

49 comments

credit: spirit.com

ROMULUS (WWJ) – One airline that flies out of Detroit Metro Airport is trying to capitalize on the “sexting” scandal involving New York Congressman Anthony Weiner.

Spirit Airlines has begun running an ad on its website promoting “The Weiner Sale”, asking “Have you seen our weiner?” and offering “fares too hard to resist”, starting nine dollars each way. The ad shows a picture of a hot dog.

University of Detroit Mercy marketing Professor Mike Bernacchi says, yeah, it crosses the line.

“These type of promotions, generally speaking, are very short-lived,” Bernacchi said.

“But, you know what? They accomplish what they set out to do, and that’s to get some publicity, to get some acknowledgement, no matter how absurd it is,” he said.

“The objective is to get Spirit’s name … to get the brand’s name out there, to get folks to react to it, get a reaction from Spirit, etcetera … you know, because that gives it a little bit more than just one news cycle maybe and if you can keep it going for a while and certainly the fact that the congressman himself is keeping this thing going,” Bernacchi said.

In an email to WWJ Newsradio 950, Spirit confirmed that the ad is legit.

Bernacchi says the only way to get rid of this type of advertising is to complain and not fly the airline. You may recall Spirit pulled an ad campaign a few years ago “The Hunt for Hoffa” when investigators were looking for his remains in Milford.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/06/07/punny-airline-ad-offers-fares-too-hard-to-resist/

Weiner’s Wife Is Pregnant

June 8, 2011, 5:11 pm

Weiner’s Wife Is Pregnant

By MICHAEL BARBARO and ASHLEY PARKER
Representative Anthony D. Weiner, and his wife, Huma Abedin, in January.Charles Dharapak/Associated PressRepresentative Anthony D. Weiner and his wife, Huma Abedin, in January.

Their marriage has become the subject of intense speculation and scrutiny amid an embarrassing online sex scandal.

Now, Representative Anthony D. Weiner and Huma Abedin are about to make news of a different kind: they are expecting their first child.

Ms. Abedin, 35, is in the early stages of pregnancy, according to three people with knowledge of the situation.

The pregnancy, which the couple has disclosed to close friends and family, adds a new dimension to questions about the future of their marriage.

Mr. Weiner, 46, has admitted to engaging in salacious online conversations with at least six women over the last few years, including an incident last month in which he sent a photograph of himself in underwear to a college student in Washington state. He apologized to his wife and declared that they have no intention of splitting up.

“We will weather this,” Mr. Weiner said on Monday, during his emotional news conference. “I love her very much, and she loves me.”

But Ms. Abedin, a longtime aide to Hillary Rodham Clinton, has remained silent about the topic as she keeps up a hectic schedule at the State Department.

Ms. Abedin returned to work this week and departed on Wednesday for a trip to Northern Africa with Ms. Clinton.

A State Department spokesman declined to comment Wednesday afternoon.\

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/weiners-wife-is-pregnant/

Many Alleged Sexual Assaults at VA Medical Facilities Not Reported, Study Finds

Published June 08, 2011

| FoxNews.com

An April 26, 2011 photo of a Veteran's Administration hospital in Dayton, Ohio. (AP)

 

An April 26, 2011 photo of a Veteran’s Administration hospital in Dayton, Ohio. (AP)

There have been nearly 300 alleged sexual assaults at Department of Veterans Affairs medical facilities over three years, through the end of 2010, and many of the allegations were not reported to higher-ups by VA police as required by law, according to a government report released this week.

The Government Accountability Office reported Tuesday that of the 284 alleged sexual assaults from January 2007 through last July, 67 were classified as rape, 185 as inappropriate touching, eight as forceful medical examinations, 13 as forced oral sex and 11 as other types of sexual assaults.

Both men and women were victims, but most of the suspects were men and included employees, patients, visitors and outsiders not affiliated with the VA, the report said.

As part of its investigation, the GAO reviewed the VA’s safety policies, interviewed VA security officials and visited five of the VA’s 153 medical facilities.

Despite the VA police receiving the reports of sexual assault allegations, VA management and the VA inspector general were not always notified as required by internal regulations, the report said. The inspector general wasn’t notified about two-thirds of sexual assault cases involving rape allegations, the report said.

Several factors may have contributed to the underreporting of the cases, including unclear guidance on what should be reported, unclear definition of sexual assault and flaws in VA’s oversight of alleged incidents, the report said.

Among the recommendations the GAO made to the VA is to establish a consistent definition of sexual assault, clarify expectations about what information on allegations should be reported, and to develop a central tracking mechanism to monitor alleged incidents.

The VA said it is reviewing GAO’s recommendations and is already taking steps for improvement.

“We take all allegations seriously and investigate them thoroughly,” VA spokesman Josh Taylor said in a statement to FoxNews.com.

Taylor noted that in 2009, the VA established a 24/7 center that serves as focal point for reporting and following up on any serious crime on a VA property.

“We are taking steps to expand and improve our reporting of allegations and to provide more secure facilities for our patients,” he said.

The House Committee on Veterans Affairs requested the report and has introduced legislation that would require the VA to track all sexual assaults and to closely examine veterans that may pose a risk of committing sexual assault. The committee will hold a hearing next week to examine the findings.

“When I first read this report, I was aghast,” said Rep. Jeff Miller, chairman of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs. “It reminded me of a 1950’s prison system – lawlessness, lack of security and reporting, and outright disregard for human dignity.”

“The GAO report unveils a fundamental weakness in the system,” said Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle, chairwoman of the subcommittee on health. “The VA failed to protect patients and staff because it did not take the system-wide allegations seriously enough to actually address them. The VA waited on Congress to act, to the detriment of hundreds of patients and staff who should have been able to depend on the VA to keep them safe.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/08/hundreds-alleged-sexual-assaults-underreported-at-va-facilities-study-finds/#ixzz1OjA4WuV5

Law Enforcement Power of the Dept of Education…

“The Office of Inspector General is the law enforcement arm of the U.S. Department of Education and is responsible for the detection of waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations. As such, OIG operates with full statutory law enforcement authority, which includes conducting search warrants, making arrests, and carrying firearms. The acquisition of these firearms is necessary to replace older and mechanically malfunctioning firearms, and in compliance with Federal procurement requirements. For more information on OIG’s law enforcement authority, please visit their Web site at : www.ed.gov/oig

Want to see a pic of Weiner’s junk? Me neither but here it is. (Adult)

Anthony Weiner’s **** Shot Emerges

Avatar for Adrian Chen Adrian ChenAnthony Weiner's Cock Shot EmergesNobody really expected the week to end without Anthony Weiner’s penis splashed all over the internet. And here it is: Andrew Breitbart showed a couple of radio DJs a picture of what is likely Anthony Weiner’s dick, then they leaked it on Twitter.

Anthony Weiner's Cock Shot EmergesThe picture comes courtesy of Sirus XM shock jocks Opie and Anthony, who had Breitbart on his show. Breitbart has said he wouldn’t release the picture because “I don’t think I want to put his family through that type of thing.” But since Breitbart is a liar and keeps his Weiner **** shot on his person at all times (wouldn’t you?), he shared it with the guys on his phone. Then they took their own snapshot and put it on Twitter. A meta leak, if you will.

So, click on the photo above if you want to see a picture of Anthony Weiner’s erect penis cradled gently in the palm of a radio DJ. It is the Osama bin Laden Death Picture of our time.

If you’ve got any other pictures to share, email us.

http://gawker.com/5809909/anthony-weiners-cock-shot-emerges

Carville: 2012 could be ‘very rough’ for Obama, says civil unrest ‘imminently possible’

 

Who ever thought the saying, “It’s the economy stupid,” from James Carville in 1992 would become a staple in presidential elections 20 years later?

That expression made its way into the campaign in 2008, and according to Carville, it could be the theme of the 2012 campaign as well as President Barack Obama seeks reelection. In an appearance on Monday’s “Imus in the Morning” on the Fox Business Network, the former Clinton adviser said that, based on the May jobs number, if the unemployment picture doesn’t improve, 2012 could be rough for the president.

“[L]ook, I don’t think anybody — if 54,000 new jobs is the new standard, it’s going to be a very, very rough 2012 for President Obama,” Carville said. “But the three-month average was 160,000. If that is the case, then he will do OK. I can’t tell you what will happen. But yes, if this, if this last jobs number is an indication of future job numbers, it’s going to be very, very rough.”

Carville cited a 2009 book by Carmen M. Reinhart and Kenneth Rogoff called “This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly.” According to the book, the current economic situation, as with similar crises of this magnitude, will take time to work itself out and there may be little Obama can do.

“It is going to be very difficult,” Carville said. “But the country, if that is what we are doing, this is gruesome on people. This unemployment rate for this long is a humanitarian crisis of the first magnitude. This financial crisis, people have studied this by the way, they know that the things take this long to work their way through. The aftermath of these things — kind of an academic book that is dry entitled ‘This Time is Different.’ What it concluded is that it is not different this time. They studied it, the aftermath of the financial crisis. What we are going through is imminently predictable. But this is a terrible thing that has happened to people’s lives. I think the president at one level understands that, you know. But he is limited in what he can do. So we’ll just have to see. But it’s going to be hard. If 54,000 jobs is the new norm — this is going to be very, very tough. Some people say it just might be one more thing. We don’t know.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/06/carville-2012-could-be-very-rough-for-obama-says-civil-unrest-imminently-possible/#ixzz1Ohcg6NP4

Only in the new Amerika…Education officials break down Stockton man’s door

12:15 AM, Jun 8, 2011
Written by Leigh Paynter

STOCKTON, CA – Kenneth Wright does not have a criminal record and he had no reason to believe a S.W.A.T team would be breaking down his door at 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

“I look out of my window and I see 15 police officers,” Wright said.

Wright came downstairs in his boxer shorts as a S.W.A.T team barged through his front door. Wright said an officer grabbed him by the neck and led him outside on his front lawn.

“He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there,” Wright said.

According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children ages 3, 7, and 11 and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house.

As it turned out, the person law enforcement was looking for was not there – Wright’s estranged wife.

“They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids,” Wright said.

Wright said he later went to the mayor and Stockton Police Department, but the City of Stockton had nothing to do with Wright’s search warrant.

The U.S. Department of Education issued the search and called in the S.W.A.T for his wife’s defaulted student loans.

“They busted down my door for this,” Wright said. “It wasn’t even me.”

According to the Department of Education’s Office of the Inspector General, the case can’t be discussed publicly until it is closed, but a spokesperson did confirm that the department did issue the search warrant at Wright’s home.

The Office of the Inspector General has a law enforcement branch of federal agents that carry out search warrants and investigations.

Stockton Police Department said it was asked by federal agents to provide one officer and one patrol car just for a police presence when carrying out the search warrant.

Stockton police did not participate in breaking Wright’s door, handcuffing him, or searching his home.

“All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door,” Wright said.

News10/KXTV

http://www.news10.net/news/article/141072/2/Dept-of-Education-breaks-down-Stockton-mans-door