Casey Anthony ‘Assassination Attempt’: Lawyer Tells HuffPost ‘None Of It Is True’
First Posted: 11/17/11 07:15 PM ET Updated: 11/18/11 09:52 AM ET
You may want to consider donning a pair of quality hip waders before delving into the latest Casey Anthony article in the National Enquirer, according to her lawyer.
“None of it is true,” Anthony’s attorney, Jose Baez, told The Huffington Post.
The article in question, “Casey Anthony Survives Assassination Attempt,” appears in the tabloid’s latest issue. The Enquirer reports that someone found 25-year-old Anthony’s secret hideout in Florida and put on her door a threatening note that read, “I know where you are, I’m coming to put a bullet through your brain.”
On July 5 of this year, a jury of seven women and five men acquitted Anthony of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. The little girl’s remains were found in December 2008 near the family home, some six months after she was last seen. During the trial, Baez said Caylee had drowned in the family swimming pool. That revelation stood in direct contrast to previous statements Anthony had given police, saying her daughter had been kidnapped.
In August, Judge Belvin Perry ordered Anthony, who was living in another state at the time, to return to Florida to serve a year’s probation on charges stemming from a check fraud conviction.
According to the Daily Mail, the Enquirer cites an unnamed source to report that the death threat Anthony received “set off a complete panic,” prompting bodyguards to transport her to another safe house. Decoy vehicles, like those used during her trial, were reportedly used.
“The fact she is still hidden and still alive is testimony to just how good her team of bodyguards are. They’re the best, but it was a very close call,” the unnamed source told the Enquirer, according to the Mail.
The story fails to mention when the alleged assassination attempt occurred.
There is no denying that Anthony, whom Gretl Plessinger of the Florida Department of Corrections called “one of the most hated women in America,” has received death threats in the past. “Because of the death threats against her … we will not be disclosing the location or anything that will lead to the discovery of her location,” Plessinger said during an August press conference.
But no one who spoke to The Huffington Post has heard anything about any “assassination attempt.”
Plessinger has since left her job at the corrections department, but agency spokeswoman Jo Ellyn Rack told HuffPost that the probation department is “not aware of any such [assassination] attempt.”
Jeff Williamson, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff’s Office — the agency that investigated Casey Anthony — said his office is also unaware of any attempts on her life. “We know nothing about it,” Williamson said, adding that not even his office is privy to Anthony’s current whereabouts.
The Enquirer did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Huffington Post.
According to her lawyer, Anthony remains in a safe location “somewhere in the state of Florida.”
Meanwhile, the parent company of the Enquirer, American Media Inc., is awaiting a judge’s decision on a motion it recently filed to dismiss a defamation suit by Roy Kronk. A former Orange County meter reader, Kronk was the man who discovered Caylee’s skeletal remains in 2008. He is seeking $15 million for allegations he claims the tabloid made about him. No word yet on when the judge will rule on the motion.